Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Introducing myself

Diana C MD


  1. Hy ,
    as I see I will break the ice in this forum with my question .
    Could you be so kind to explain difference between the generic drugs and the brand name drugs . Simple fact the generic cost is low , made me think they are not effective . Thanks .

  2. Hy Vinny,

    This is a very good question. You must to know, the brands named drugs are the original drugs, the first drugs discovered, tested and put on the market. They also have benefits and side effects .The original drugs are put on the market, and they are sold for approximately 20 years. In this time, the companies make profits, but also it is a period of time, when the drug is tested on humans. If in time, problems with the drug occur, they can also stop the production, or resolve these problems. After 20 years, the company will sell the license kind of way, meaning some companies will produce the drug, in a similar form, but a new name.
    The generic drugs, contain the same chemical substance but other ingredients can be different, in general these ingredients give the shape, color, consistency of the drug .Some of these ingredients can be allergenic for some people, but also the ingredients from brands named drugs .There are studies who said, there are no significant differences between the generic and brand named drugs. This is not entirely true. There are cases when the original has proved to be the best. And also rare cases, when the generic are not so effective. The generics help to decrease the amount of money spent in our healthcare .Are they the same with the original? Not in every aspect. Are they effective as the original? In majority of cases , yes .I know doctors who prescribe the original drug, but this is when they have a lot of experience with that drug ,and in their opinion , nothing is better than original . But I can assure you , this is not a current practice, because we try to spend the healthcare money more efficient . Sometimes the insurance company decides for you , if you receive the original or the generic . In some situations , I will choose the original , even if I must to pay the difference , but in majority of cases the generics are always the solution .

  3. HY ,

    Could you please ,tell me the difference between the hepatitis B and C in terms of transmission?
    Which one is more severe and have more complications?

  4. Hy Anca,
    to respond to your question, the both hepatitis can be transmitted by infected needles, by infected blood, by infected organs or bone marrow, and by sexual contact, sometimes by tattoos, and when you share the same syringe and needle with an infected person.
    Hepatitis B can be transmitted vertically from mother to child through pregnancy.
    Hepatitis B virus is more infectious, this is why it can be transmitted by sexual contact. Hepatitis C virus can be also transmitted by sexual contact, but because C virus is not so infectious, is very rare when a hepatitis C is transmitted this way. That’s why, we must to consider hepatitis B and C between sexually transmitted diseases. Both hepatitis can become severe, and have the same complications. The only thing is, the hepatitis B has 85 % chances to be cured, and 15 % develop complications. Hepatitis C evolves in a chronic hepatitis in a large percentage. Complications are: chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, hepatic cancer and liver insufficiency. These complications can appear in both hepatitis B and C . The most severe is hepatitis C, because a large percentage of people develop chronic hepatitis, develop liver failure, cirrhosis and cancer. In conclusion, we have the chance to be cured by B Hepatitis, but Hepatitis C always become chronic. . Another aspect is, when you have or had hepatitis B and/or C, you cannot be a blood, bone marrow or organ donor. In the same time, if you develop liver insufficiency, you will need a transplant.

  5. Diana,I welcome contact with you! Your blog is very practical and a device for people who read it! Just put a translator for those who do not speak other languages​​! Sincerely Evangelos